Thursday, July 23, 2015

Being Vegan in Hamilton: Part 2

So, Hamilton has been pretty good to us. I know I complain a lot about people not understanding what vegan means, and why it is so important that my latte is made with soy instead of dairy. But honestly, Hamilton is actually full of places that are accommodating - and don't even make you define  what vegan means!

VOMD and  I don't have a ton of money, but we try to go to at least one veg friendly place in Hamilton a week, just for fun! It's nice not to have to cook every day of the week.  I posted a Being Vegan in Hamilton Part 1, so be sure to check that out as well. Here are a few more places that we have come to love!

1. Gourmet Veggie Foods/Hamilton Farmer’s Market: On the suggestion of  one of my readers I went and checked out the farmer’s market for vegan treats. Usually I stick in the little vegetable section – Dilly’s Farmacy always has cucumbers on at $2 for 5! -  but I decided to give some of the other  little places a shot. One place stood out the most – Gourmet Veggie Foods! It’s run by a guy named David So who is just fantastic! They have veggie jerky and other snack type foods, but the cream of the crop there is a vegan shrimp alternative. At $10 a bag, it better be  damn good…  and it definitely lives up to expectations. I was never a huge fish, sea food or crustacean fan when I was an animal product eater, but VOMD was, and for a treat now and then it is totally worth it to spend $10 on faux shrimp.

2. Good To Go: We also went by Good to Go on Dundurn. It is this tiny little shop with barely enough room to turn around it, but they have lots of tasty looking treats at prices that are comparable to any other veggie place around.

3. Cake and Loaf: As for places that aren’t vegan, but cater to us, Cake and Loaf is by far one of the best bakeries in town. They have vegan pot pies, cakes, loafs (as their name suggests) and chocolate bars. They have these vegan coconut dark chocolate bars that taste just like I remember Bounty bars tasting – which were my favourite chocolate bar by far! (Although to be fair…it’s been years since I ate one of those).

4. Rebel’s Rock: This place is VOMD and I’s favourite pub in Hamilton. They have a decent number of vegan beers on tap, and they can make you awesome Irish chips with curry gravy on top! Make sure you tell them you need it vegan, because they otherwise put dairy in. You can also get your chips with spices and rubs on them. So good. The atmosphere is amazing and they often have music.

5. Homegrown: This place is hipster heaven. I first went to Homegrown during SuperCrawl last year. They often have live music and there is some pretty rad art on the walls. It’s this stranger little place that is decorated like a bad nineties bar but serves amazing food. They usually have vegan chilli and a couple sandwiches you can choose from. They also make excellent coffee.

6. Ben Thanh: VOMD and I were craving Thai and weren't wanting to throw out a bunch of cash for an all you can eat Sushi/Thai place, so we tried Ben Thanh. They have a really good selection of vegan/vegetarian dishes. Make sure you tell them no egg, because some stuff has egg – like the fried rice. So freaking good. We took VOMD’s grandma there, and she loved it, even though she has never had a vegan meal before. Their servings are also sizeable, so when we go we order a couple of appetizers and meals, and then have a bunch of leftovers for midnight snacks and lunch the next day.

Oh, also, look how freaking cute Tobi was when she was itty bitty! I found a bunch of old photos and it kind of made me cry a little. I'm so lucky to have this little rambunctious ball of furry joy in my life. When I first got her she was very sick with the Snuffles and the vet told me she would probably live a year. She's now three and healthy as can be! I took her off medication after consulting a couple vets and other rabbit caregivers two years ago because it kept having a negative impact on her digestive health. I'm pretty sure the keys to her longevity have been: clean air, clean room, clean litter, healthy fresh organic veggies, plenty of organic hay, and a giant frozen bottle of water as a mini air conditioner on hot days!

Now freak out at the cuteness!

That's it for now.

Happy Thursday!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment