Friday, July 31, 2015

Joy!

So, I am sitting here on my couch, taking a break from writing my thesis and sipping on a cold brew coffee, and I am thinking about all the things in this world that bring me joy.

The recent death of Cecil the Lion, and all of the drama and outrage it has caused in the world has started a stream of arguments the likes of which I have never seen on Facebook. So much hate and anger at the world from vegans  who are pissed (like me) that the rest of the population can't see Cecil in the eyes of the cows they consume on a daily basis, and defensiveness and indignation from non-vegans who feel judged and hated by those who are (like me) pissed that they can't/don't/refuse to see the big picture.

Earlier today I was glancing through one of my friend's Facebook post about Cecil, where she essentially makes the same point as I did  in my blog yesterday. She was immediately bombarded with arguments against her point of  view, and numerous defences for why it is okay to eat animals like pigs and chickens but not to kill lions. This made me so sad and angry... it made me feel a bit helpless ... as though the situation is hopeless.

...but then I began to wonder why this  makes me so sad and angry and why my immediate reaction to things like this is always to look at the dark side instead of the bright.

There is so much in this world that is amazing. First, shouldn't I just be overjoyed that this friend shares my point of view?! How wonderful is it that in a group of people less than 200 there is at least person (though, honestly, many more) that totally and completely gets it? Second, when I posted my own little snippit on Facebook about Cecil, I was met with support from my friends and family. I received numerous messages encouraging me to keep going,  to stay positive, and thanking me for setting a positive example. When I shared my post about switching to a whole foods plant based diet I received a message from a friend to which I had not spoken in years, asking me for advice on cutting animal products out of her diet. In fact, every time I share something on my Facebook about my  lifestyle I am met with support.  Isn't that wonderful!? Isn't it so nice that there are so many people who, even if they do not live the way that I do, support my life  choices, and think that the way I live my life is commendable?  This brings me joy!

Last night VOMD and I went for a walk to get coffee at one of the local shops down town. I was wearing my 'Vegan is Peace' shirt and as soon as I walked in the girl behind the counter began asking me questions about going vegan. She told me that she is scared that it will be difficult, that she is nervous that she will not have the will-power, or the support to go all the way. I gave her my phone number and email address and answered all her  questions as best I could. She told me that she wanted to be vegan from the bottom of her heart, and that seeing me walk in right at the end of her shift was like a sign from the universe. See?! Wonderful things happen all the time! This brings me joy!

And today, when I went to my favourite little coffee spot Cafe Oranje on King St. I had yet another  conversation about how delicious vegan food is while I was buying one of the vegan pies they sell (made at Cake and Loaf, I believe, but correct me if you think I'm wrong) called "The Wellington".  Joy is everywhere! And everywhere people are starting to realize that the way that we live now, taking animals and the planet around us for granted is just not doing it  for us any more.

People are changing. We have this amazing capacity for adaptation that no other creature on earth does, and when I speak to people like the coffee shop girl who is starting to go vegan, or the baker who makes vegan pies, or the curious person on the street who asks me about my 'Vegan is Peace' shirt, or the long lost friend who is trying to eat less animal products, or my older sister who is starting to be more careful about what she puts in her body and now drinks Vega shakes instead of whey, I realize that if I am willing to remain positive, and set an example of joy instead of anger, then the world really can look like a much brighter place.

And if trying to see the bright side ever fails, I can always rely on my animal companions to bring the light back into my life!

Lego and I like to have staring contests.

 Happy Friday!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment