Friday, August 7, 2015

Friday Foodies! Lazy Rosé and PASTAÄLGAR!

*Before I get started,I just wanted to let you know I've put my recipes all in one place, and will try to continue to do so as I add more. Keep in mind, this is obviously not a food blog... at all, so photos will probably be shitty, recipes unprofessional, and you will have to wade through some personal drama to get to the actual food in each post. See them here or just visit the tab above that says "FOOD!"*

This is not meant to be an advertisement for Ikea or anything,  but how damn cute is this pasta?! VOMD and I went to Ikea last weekend and bought a new set of dishes, and we could not resist this adorable elf shaped pasta! We have a real problem with resistance, I know. Get some self control, us! At least it's organic.

This week has been very emotional, coming to terms with the fact that lots of vegans don't like me, but I have been so lucky to have VOMD here with me to buy me vegan double chocolate oatmeal cookies from Democracy and bring me soy lattes to cheer me up! If I ever doubt that the world is a  good place, then I just have to look into his eyes and I am reminded.

Here is something amazing and simple we ate this week. I know I'm supposed to be switching to whole food, but its a slow process, and so far I'm doing pretty good with breakfasts and lunches, but white pasta at dinner time is a pretty hard habit to kick.

We didn't have much in the fridge or cupboards this week. You know how it goes...you plan to buy groceries but you go to Niagara on the Lake and buy nutcracker figurines from the Christmas store instead.
I might have an addiction to nutcracker Christmas ornaments... VOMD found me the one that looks like a Mounty! 

So, for dinner a couple nights ago it was slim pickings. So here's my Pasta with Lazy Rosé and Mushroom Sauce!


Ingredients
1 big ol' can of diced tomatoes (we use the reduced salt kind)
2 large onions, halved and sliced
2 cups (ish) white mushrooms
1 heaping tbsp Vegenaise (trust me, this is going to make it awesome!)
1 big tbsp herb and garlic vegan cream cheese (I had Daiya on hand)
A couple dashes of organic dried basil (it just tastes better!)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1) Sauté the onions and mushrooms until they get all juicy and golden brown, adding a tiny bit of salt to get the juices flowing
2) Slightly strain the canned tomatoes so that they are not all liquidy
3) Add tomatoes to mushrooms and onions and stir to combine.
4) Turn down to low and add Vegenaise and vegan cream cheese, stirring to combine,  but not letting it bubble too much (it might separate and get kind of weird if it boils)
5) Add basil and salt and pepper to taste
6) Serve over Adorable elk shaped pasta! (Or you know, any pasta... or rice...or just eat it on its own.  It's really good.)

Note: I added a few sliced of Tofurkey, all chopped up to this, because we happened to have a few leftover sliced from VOMD's lunches last week, but I'd imagine it would be just as good without it because the mushrooms kind of overpower the Tofurkey's mild flavour.

I promise, adding Vegenaise won't make it weird.  VOMD puts Vegenaise in Vegan Mac and Cheese and it just makes it super creamy and awesome!

Happy Friday!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment