Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The not-so-healthy-herbivore (or, I'm Realizing I'm Not Invincible)

I've been vegan for about 4 years now, and before that vegetarian for about the same amount of time. I try to take decent care of myself - I don't eat many sweets and I'm not a huge snacker. I try to stay relatively active. I've had my iron and B12 levels checked before and they have normally been within the normal and healthy range.

Turns out, though, that I'm not magically immune to common health issues! Who knew?!

I got some blood work done recently - just a standard check up - and the doctor noted two problems: 1) my iron is low; 2) I have slightly high BAD cholesterol.  Luckily, even though I seldom take my B12 supplement, my levels are still, to quote my doctor "absolutely excellent!" (there was a less than subtle hint of surprise in his voice). I guess I retain it well;  hurray for that minor victory!

When you go vegan you are told by lots of other vegans that its going to make you feel amazing... and the  truth is, it totally does! My reason for going vegan was and still is the lives of animals, but it was a nice boost to know I was taking care of myself as well.

But, being vegan can also make you a bit complacent about your own health. If you're anything like me, you  feel amazing about being vegan, and tend to think that all the problems you faced as a non-vegan are in the rear-view.

It is a bit of a rude awakening to realize  that even though I consume zero animal products, I have a family  history of bad cholesterol, and a tendency towards low iron retention.

These are minor issues, and are easily fixed by an alteration in my diet and a daily iron supplement, but it makes me feel a little more mortal.

All this said, I'm excited to see how my new diet changes and supplements impact the way I feel. I've even read that low iron can lead to skin issues like acne, so here's hoping that's my problem and supplementation will help clear that issue up!.

For any of you who are feeling discouraged by family or vegan related health issues, I encourage you to find a doctor who supports your lifestyle choices and is willing to work with you to find a solution that does clash with your values. My doctor understands that eating animal products of any kind is not an option and I am so lucky to have him on my side. I have heard horror stories about doctors scaring their patients into giving up their ethical lifestyle.  If your doctor is like that, I think its time to find a new one.

Happy Tuesday!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment