Monday, August 10, 2015

Monday Happies and OH MY STROGANOFF!

Happy  Monday everyone!

As Always, my weekend with VOMD was amazing. Have I mentioned that I love him and have the best boyfriend ever?

Here's a taste of one of VOMD's favourite meals recently. I had a huge craving for that stroganoff my ex-stepmom used to make when I was growing up, but I had no idea how to make it vegan friendly. I'm pretty sure her's was a lazy  version using canned mushroom soup, so I though, hey...mushrooms!


Johanna's Vegan Sort-of Stroganoff


Our cat friends like to supervise in the kitchen. Princess George was kind of annoyed that I didn't let her eat some. 
VOMD and I always try to buy as much of our food from the near-death racks at the grocery store - you know, the one's filled with over ripe bananas and weird bags full of mangoes, oranges, eddoes, and avacadoes thrown together as though you could some how make a meal with those four, completely random ingredients. About a month ago there were about fifty packages of slightly brown mushrooms  on there, so we bought about 10 of them and put them in the freezer for a rainy day. Well, last week not only did it rain, but we also ran out of food and so I was relieved to find we still had one package of these slightly brown mushrooms left in the freezer!

Ingredients
1 package of frozen sliced mushrooms (I guess you could just cut up about a cup and a half of fresh mushrooms, but all I had was the frozen ones!)
1 Large onion, halved and sliced
2/3 can Romano beans, rinsed well (I saved the rest and added it to bean dip the next day)
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 cube of mushroom soup base (make sure its vegan! read the ingredients!)
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1) Sauté the onions on medium heat until they are translucent, then add the frozen mushrooms and cover with a lid or plate. You can add a little salt to get the juices flowing, but don't add too much because the soup base is probably super salty
2) In a bowl or measuring cup, dissolve soup base cube in warm water, then add flour and whisk away until its well combined
3) When the mushrooms are completely defrosted and getting darker brown, and the onions are golden, add the soup base mixture and stir it to combine. You might want to reduce your heat a bit to stop it from bubbling over or sticking to the bottom of your pan.
4) Add your romano beans and stir to combine. If it's too thick, add a little more water, if it's too  watery, sprinkle a tiny bit more flour over top and whisk it in to make sure you don't get clumps. Nobody liked clumpy gravy.
5) Add pepper to taste.  You probably don't need salt, you know, because of the super salty soup base.
6) Serve over the noodles of your choice. We didn't have ribbon noodles so I used some spinach rice spaghetti noddles we had on hand.


VOMD had two servings and we both licked out plates clean. No leftovers with this one!

Happy Monday!

-J


No comments:

Post a Comment