Monday, August 17, 2015

Monday Happies! Midsummer's Dream Festival and Crafty Fun!

So, this past Saturday VOMD, myself, and a couple of amazing friends (and their adorable kids) went to the Midsummer's Dream Festival in Gage Park. It was so much fun, and totally worth the hour it took to scrub pink dye out of our armpits. My only complaint is that the festival was not super vegan friendly (that is, there was way too much meat being grilled for my liking and sadly, there are no more vegan food trucks in Hamilton... Man, I miss Karma Chameleon).

But it was so much fun. I had not seen my friend for a few months since classes ended and she became occupied with work and studying for her  comprehensive exams, and I became entirely focused on my thesis. She also brought us vegan doughnuts from Beechwood Doughnuts in St. Catharines!

There was supposed to be bubble soccer and an obstacle course, but that didn't pan out for one reason or another, but really, the good company, and the ridiculously joyful smile on the face of my friend's daughter when she got to throw colours all over everyone made up for anything we may have missed out on. VOMD and I got thoroughly coated in colour cornstarch and it took ages to get all that colour off (I still had a huge pink splotch on my stomach yesterday!)


With that all said and done, I had some time to start thinking about being crafty again. I recently made the garter set for my best friend's wedding, and I had some leftover camouflage material so I thought I should probably put it  to use. When my youngest niece was born I made her stuffed animals - a little fox and an owl door hanger. Working from the same basic idea, I cut up an old t-shirt and used the left over material from my friend's garter set to make this little guy! He's kind of a fox,  but I think he looks a bit like a raccoon.

Sometimes I'm crafty. He's kind of ugly, and its certainly far from professional,  but I think there is a kind of charm in creating something by hand that you can tell was made by hand. VOMD says I should sell these, but I think he's too ugly, and I can't bring myself to follow any type of pattern, so any future little creatures would probably turn out just as silly. I also like the idea of just doing something for fun now and then.

I don't get crafty very often any more. Since beginning grad school, my creativity  has been at an all-time low, so it feels nice to use my hands for something other than scrolling through journal articles. 

Those are my happy thoughts for today. 

Happy Monday!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment