Monday, August 31, 2015

Monday Happies: ECPR Conference, Montreal, and Letting go of Negativity

As you may know, last week was a bit insane. We had to say goodbye to our new friend Blakeley the cat, and my thesis disappeared. But on Thursday night we headed to Montreal for the ECPR 9th Annual conference, and on the way I decided that I didn't want to dwell on the negativity of the events that happened earlier in the week. The couple days we spent in Montreal were for me about experiencing the new and letting go of unhappiness.

Following along the theme of the new, tt was the first time the ECPR conference was held  outside of Europe and it was very exciting to be surrounded by  so many awesome and successful academics from all over  the world. Friday I presented a paper that is related to my  thesis project on public washrooms and the third space, and saturday I was  invited to act as the discussant for an experimental panel on art and politics - this is subject matter that is rather foreign to me,  but was enlightening and definitely left me with many interesting methodological questions. The joy I got from these passionate people is indescribable! VOMD suggested that maybe I needed to lose my thesis in order for it to become what it needs to be... that the questions that were raised about my paper, and that I raised myself in the Saturday panel were ones that could not be asked, and would have had little effect, were my thesis not lost. I like this idea. I like to think that the universe through this wrench into my life to shake me up a bit and make me think a  little more about where my project (and my life) is going.

VOMD and I stayed  in a nice little hotel called Plateau Royale down town. We were struck by how clean the streets of Montreal are (and by how attractive and well-dressed the population is!) We went to an excellent vegetarian restaurant for lunch on Friday called Lola Rosa and ate amazing vegan poutine made with Daiya cheese! Commence drooling now. VOMD also got a vegan quesadilla and I go probably the best vegan burger I've ever had. We stuffed them in our faces before I could get a picture.


It was awesome to be in a french city with a french speaking person, VOMD basically did  all  the talking while we were there and I was very  lucky to have such a wonderful guide! He took me to the Montreal Museum of Fine Art (which is free for people under 30!) and to Old Montreal. 

Overall, the trip was a great success and I was so glad that VOMD came with me. 

I will say, though, that as far as vegan friendly cities goes, Hamilton beats Montreal by a landslide. I am so lucky to live in such a great place  to be vegan, even if it means I have to deal with trash on the streets and a population that doesn't match their loafers to their belts.

Happy Monday!

-J


No comments:

Post a Comment