Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Being Awesome in Hamilton Part 1: Ottawa St. Top 5

I started a little series called Being Vegan in Hamilton a while back, but then I started thinking about how many awesome people are in Hamilton who may not be vegan and though...they need to get their props too!  Every time I leave the house and head out into the strange, wild world that is Hamilton I know that the day is going to be a good one because I know that I am bound to meet someone who is doing awesome shit with their lives.

The best way to do this, I think, is to go neighborhood by neighborhood. So, given that yesterday I spent hours wandering on Ottawa St. (and given they have a side-walk festival coming up this Saturday that everyone should check out) that is a good place to start!


  1. Prouse Pottery and Soap Co: If you have not checked out Prouse yet, you simply must, especially if you're a fan of fun geekery, beautiful and funky pottery, and handmade soap that uses natural, healthy, and ethically sourced ingredients. I've been into the shop twice now, and both times spent about an hour (at least) talking to the awesome couple who run the shop about everything under the sun - from bees, to art, to the philosophy of photography, to social media, and to, well, soap! They also run pottery workshops that work around your schedule, and have guest instructors in who teach art, scrap-booking, and much more! 
  2. Wick'd Wax Creations: This place is absolutely wicked! (and is eco friendly, and vegan friendly, as a happy coincidence!) Wes Fletcher, the guy who runs Wick'd Wax has been making candles for more than 20 years and the skills that come with experience are evident in his work. Wick'd Wax sells scented and unscented varieties of candles, in all shapes and sizes. I went to Wick'd Wax to get gifts for a prize basket a few months ago for my girlfriend's bridal shower, and his tart-shaped candle was an absolute hit!
  3. Earl's Court Gallery: I am not the art buff I wish I was, but my favourite gallery in Hamilton right now is Earl's Court. Their exhibit right now is a combination of different styles of modern, abstract art that explores our relationship with the space, physical environments and territoriality. I am blown away by Laura Culic's work which uses hot and cold wax. Check it out, people!
  4. Steel Town Pickers: This is one of my favourite antique/nick knack shops in Hamilton. They sell antiques, small furniture and other oddities and it is always an adventure to wander through this crowded, colourful store. 
  5. Bounty Hunter Toys: TOYS! Need I say more? I guess I should. This is the perfect shop for the child/geek in all of us. It is packed full of toys, both contemporary and classic, and even carries some arcade games! They are located right next to Prouse Pottery and Soap Co. so if you want to nerd it out for a few hours, this is the perfect place for you to get your geek on. 
There are so many more amazing little shops down Ottawa St. but this is a little list of some of my favourites. More to come in the future!

Happy Wednesday!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment